"No one knows how bad they are until they have tried to be good" - CS Lewis
I read that quote just a few days before I read a devotional on a sleepless night, that said "God saw that His work was good (Genesis 1:25). Just as God felt good about His work, we can be pleased with ours. However, we should not feel good about our work if God would not be pleased with it. What are you doing that pleases both you and God?"
Well, what am I doing that pleases me? I can think of many. But, what of these things are also pleasing God? It hurts to only be able to list a few.
Currently, things I am doing that are pleasing to me and God (from my point of view of course):
1 - Reading His word every morning
2 - Praying every morning
3 - Eating preservative free
That is it. Three things. And I can easily find faults with or improvements to be made to each. I am finding that the things that were so fulfilling and good in the beginning aren't feeling quite as fulfilling anymore. But, I should absolutely use this realization to my advantage, and dig deeper. Just when you think you have something "good" mastered, you can quickly see ways to make it better, if you allow yourself to. I know God loves me, and He is proud of my efforts. But there is a serious tug at my heart to be even better in these areas.
My three good activities made "more good"
1 - Dig deeper into reading. Read related passages. Read throughout the day rather than just during set times in my routine.
2 - Pray throughout the day. Be in constant communication with God. And be less distracted when I pray (don't be thinking about my massive to-do list that I may have).
3 - Pray when I struggle with eating no preservatives, wasn't that my objective in the first place?
So, being good can be one of the most difficult things a person might try to accomplish. And not just being good compared to those around, but being good in God's eyes alone. I know God loves me without me ever getting to a point that I actually deserve His love. But I want to try to be better and make His heart as happy as he makes mine.
So again, and again, and again, and again I pray: "God, please help me to show your love through my every word and action," because then, I will be good.
2.01.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Appreciate your honesty. And perspective.
ReplyDelete